Nutritious food will be available for Flint residents through April with special precautions place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in Michigan, food pantry distributors are taking extra precautions to keep customers and volunteers protected. Each site is requiring volunteers to wear gloves and masks, clean their hands with hand sanitizer often, and take steps to sanitize distribution buildings throughout the day.
Customers do not have to step out of their vehicle to receive food – volunteers are asking the customer to simply open their trunk and they will load up the vehicle with food to reduce contact.
This month’s mobile food pantry distribution will have plenty of delicious, vitamin-rich produce, including apples, potatoes, honeydew melon, cabbage and butternut squash.
April dates for distributions are:
Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 Ballenger Hwy.
- Monday, April 6, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, April 13, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, April 20, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, April 27, at 10 a.m.
Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road.
- Tuesday, April 7, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 14, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 21, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 28, at 10 a.m.
Luke’s NEW Life Center, 3115 Lawndale Ave.
- Friday, April 10, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, April 17, at 10 a.m.
- Saturday, April 25, at 10 a.m.
Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Hwy.
- Thursday, April 16, at 10 am.
- Thursday, April 23, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, April 30, at 10 a.m.
Flint residents can also pick up free nutritional food at the three Flint Help Center locations:
- Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 N. Ballenger Highway, is open from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays
- Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road, open Tuesdays is open from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Highway, is open Thursdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
The three help center locations now have more proteins to distribute to Flint residents in addition to the produce that’s available at all locations. In April they will have ground turkey, beef and cheese.
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has provided the Flint mobile food pantries since February 2016 in partnership with the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan in Flint.
Information about additional food distributions will be announced as they are scheduled. To check food distribution schedules, visit the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan website at FBEM.org and find the updated schedule on the Mobile Pantry Distribution page, or call 810-239-4441.